Thursday, February 5, 2015

Day 3 - Boot Camp Hiking Day!

Day 3 - Hiking Day!

AM
If someone had seen this cute pug's eyeballs almost popping out of his head during breakfast this morning (while licking peanut butter off the lid attached to the target stick), they might question our use of the term "boot camp"!

However, if our 1st goal of boot camp was to re-establish (strengthen) or bond, then it's working!

Here's the sweet boy sitting in my lap as I type....

Most days he finds a quiet spot in the house to snooze after breakfast, but today he sought out my lap! (And he could be sitting with my husband in the comfy recliner!)

I guess getting 100% attention, being hand fed breakfast, and a.m. and p.m. peanut butter trots agrees with him.

I think this retraining of looking at my leg, not eyes, during heeling is going to take some time. It seemed to work better when I faced the tie dyed (bright colors/patterns) duct tape toward him .....

Perhaps I can eventually put some of this duct tape on the side of my pants leg!?

AFTERNOON
We worked on "recalls" --- lots and lots of 'em --- during an afternoon hike. I started out just giving a food treat on the odd number recalls and a pet or high-5 etc. on even numbers. Eventually, I treated every 3rd recall. Given that I usually give him a kibble every time he comes up to my side while hiking (off leash) that was more limiting than usual! I don't want him to ever stray too far when hiking. (I'm always worried that some fox, owl, big dog, or mean hawk might hurt him!)

Here's a video of our recall efforts . . . .

I finally picked up the fishing line at Academy Sports. There was no Rally class tonight, so we'll have more time this week to try it out before heading back to the class ring. Still not exactly sure how to use this, but I'll see if I can find some videos on YouTube in the morning.

On a great facebook page, Balanced Obedience, I got some feedback about the "rolled-up-towel- training" from a trainer named Gary Wilkes. (Perhaps this is the guy that led the workshop my local training friend/teacher attended? I need to ask her. I might be conversing with a famous dude! :) )

At any rate, I learned that it's called "bonking" ....

LOVE IT!

Bonking the Boog.

I'm going to watch some more of his videos in the morning to see how to bonk the boog properly :) lol .... (That is, IF I decide to use the technique again. We have a great bond right now. Knowing him, however, I'm sure we'll need it again.) 

Another trainer suggested NOT to use this in the ring in case Sebastian is stressed lately. I'm thinking that his "yawning" at the start sign 2 trials ago is a definite sign of stress. Mainly because he was SUPER fired up as we warmed-up outside the ring. Who knows. He won't talk to me.

Foxy Mama is too tired to train tonight so we are going to call it a day. His PM training will be some kisses and loving. :)

Snore little pug, snore.



No comments:

Post a Comment